Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Bush's Speech - First Impressions

I listened to George's speech on the way home from work. I heard most of it (although the radio doesn't get good reception when I enter Sunol Valley, so some of it wasn't very clear). As I listened I thought how it would be fun to be with some friends and have a drinking game to go with it. Sounds like something I would have done in college. Keep the alcohol level at a reasonable place, so:
  • Shot of beer each time the word Freedom or Free was said (I counted at least 10 of them during the part that I heard).
  • Two shots of beer each time September 11th was referenced since it is so powerful. (heard this 4 to 5 times)
  • Shot of beer for every 3 things that were indicated progress was being made in Iraq (could not keep count of these. Seems like most of the speech was this)
  • Shot of beer everytime the troops were mentioned (again, too many to count)
I am sure this would have been refined if I was with some of my college buddies (I come from the Watergate era. The night Tricky Dick resigned, our favorite bar had a big party ... those were such simple times). But enough of the drinking game. Perhaps at some time I can join a Bush Speech Party and drink ... and drink ... and drink.

What did I think of his speech? It was pretty much what I expected (don't know about you). It was a lot of telling us (the American People) why things are going well in Iraq. We have turned the country over to the Iraq people (except for out 140K troops, or whatever the level is). They had elections. They are working on their constitution. Lots of trying to convince us that things are just peachy over there. It must be tough considering all the reports of how badly things really are.

Guess I need to post this. Started it last night and am just posting it this morning. I want to get this out before I read anyone else's impressions of the speech (already heard Morning Edition's take on it).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home