Thursday, November 24, 2005

Back to my Roots : Part 1

I realized in the past couple of days that I have not written anything about my actual trip. Rather than making this a travel journal, I have been more just focused on particular incidents from my trip and expounded on them. I have another entry I would like to write along those lines, but I will make this entry a description of what I have actually been doing on this trip. Hopefully without heading off into too many tangents (which I have a tendency to do).

The flight out here last Friday passed without major incident. A friend of mine drove us to the airport so I didn't have to either leave my van at the airport or pay for someone to take us (either case would have added a good chunk of money to the cost of my trip). As we rode the freeway, I commented to her that I felt stressed even though we had plenty of time to reach the airport and everything was going just fine. I think that I have a tendency to expect something to happen, even though I have no reason to think that way. Perhaps the higher level of stress I feel is my way of preparing for whatever that might be. I didn't start to feel relaxed until I was sitting with my kids at the gate. It turns out that I did not need to prepare myself for anything. The only thing that happened was very minor and it was resolved quite quickly. When we went through security (yea, that dreaded area of the airport ... security), the woman that checked our boarding passes asked me for the passes for the SJ to Denver leg. She said that all that I handed to here were the passes for the Denver to Kansas City leg. I looked at the passes and yes, three of the boarding passes were missing. I thought I must have dropped them , but at the same time I thought that someone would have pointed it out (the airport was not crowded, but neither was it empty). So I told my kids to wait there and I retraced out steps. I had to keep my mind from about what would happen if they were truly lost. Instead, I just followed the path we took from the curbside checkin. I didn't see any passes on the floor, didn't see anything in the rest room, nothing on the seats where my kids waited for a bit, nothing. I finally arrived back at the curbside checkin and looked around there. The skycap asked me what I was looking for. I told him that I seemed to have lost some boarding passes and was looking for them. He looked at the desk and saw some passes sitting there. He picked them up, read off the names and asked if those were the ones I was looking for. Yes, those were ours. He gave them to me and said he couldn't figure out how they got there. I think they may not have been given to us, but I told him that it didn't really matter. I had the passes and that was what was important.

Since that was the worst that happened on the trip out, I am not going to complain. Any trip is going to have its rough spots. I think you just have to accept that, deal with them when they happened, and then move on to enjoy what you encounter next.

We arrived in Kansas City along with our luggage, picked up our rental car, and headed up the road to Des Moines. In just under 3 hours, we pulled into my brother's driveway. The trip was over. We went to the front door and went inside without knocking since my sister-in-law had told us that they might be in bed. Turns out they weren't. They had gone for dinner and arrived home as we were about to head to bed.

Not an exciting trip, but that is OK. When I travel with my kids, the less excitement, the better.

The next day was the race that I described a couple of posts ago and then a visit with some Iowa friends. I want to discuss that in another post so I will not bring that up here.

Sunday and Monday were spent at my brother and sister-in-law's house just hanging out. This, of course, is what vacations are for. Reading, drinking wine, reading some more, watching a little TV, visiting ... pretty much doing just what I wanted.

Looks like I didn't get very far into my trip with this post and I need to head to bed soon. We are having a family picture tomorrow and I don't want to stay up too late. As seems to be typical with me, I have a number of ideas for posts. Only time will tell whether or not I actually write any of them. I hope you have enjoyed what I have written.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home